Sunday, October 17, 2010

On the Chemo Rollercoaster

Hello Everyone:
I have finally mastered the blog process thanks to young son John. For the three quarter century old computer moron this has been quite a task. When you grew up in the era of learning the Morse Code Signals this is like being in another life. I have sent out several mass emails to family and friends since my surgery on August 11th and regarding my first Chemo infusion starting on September 30th. You will recall that I advised that I would be doing a blog while I am on the Chemo-Coaster and here we are.
This past Thursday, October 14th I reported for duty at 10:00 AM at the Alfond Cancer Center going through all of the medical checks and balances before the 4 hours infusion of 6 bags including the likes of Palonosetron Dexamethasone, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Sulfate, OXALIplatin, & Leucovorin. Then the battery powered Chemo pump was hooked up with 92 mililiters of 5 Fluorouricil and I was sent on my way at 4:00 PM. From the sounds of these names they should kill more than cancer cells! Yesterday, Saturday, at 2:00 PM I reported back in and had the pump removed. Today at high noon I reported back again and had a shot of Neulaster in my belly. The Neulaster jump starts your bone marrow to work overtime building new red blood cells to replace those killed by the Chemo.
So far this time again no nausea or diarrhea, however, I am having a sensation in my finger tips of touching a live 120 volt wire when touching anything very cold. As I am not a fan of electric shocks, I have purchased a new pair of cotton gloves and Connie has amputated the right little digit so that they fit and that solves that problem. Mickey and Minnie and I have a terrible time being able to purchase 3 finger gloves that fit us. I will keep you posted about every day on where I am on the roller-coaster. I now need to mass email everyone with this link so that you can check in. Love, Dad (Al)

2 comments:

  1. As a long time friend I am glad that I will be able to follow your progress through these regular postings. You know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and that I will continue to keep in touch as we have for more than half a century. Peace be with you.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al - this blog is an excellent venue for you. You are thoughtful, well-spoken and not shy about detail. Thank you for doing this. - Nancy

    PS Ron thinks Maine is going to win hockey east this year, I'm not so sure :) If we can get tickets, maybe you and Connie can come down for the quarterfinals.

    ReplyDelete