Hello Family and Friends:
I am closing in on the finish line with 11 infusions behind me. Each one takes a little more out of me, however, I am still fighting back. Still no nausea, diarrhea, mouth or body sores. My major complaint is the loss of my taste buds. Everything tastes like sawdust and it is pretty hard to get excited about eating a meal when you can't taste it. I am eating 3 meals a day and drinking a bottle of Ensure chocolate shake to pick up an additional 300+ calories, however, have dropped down to 148 pounds. My taste buds slowly recover so that the day before my next infusion there are quite a few things that I can taste and enjoy eating. It is amusing that I can still taste most sweet things. Yesterday at Memere Roy's 93rd birthday party I ate 3 good sized pieces of birthday cake with 2 large helpings of ice cream and it tasted some good. I tried other snacks like Chex Mix and Chips and they tasted like sawdust. Oh well, it is almost over. My final infusion is on March 2-5 and then when I start to gain strength and taste back I'll know they will be here to stay. This time I seem even more tired than ever. I can't sit down anywhere without falling asleep except for driving. Thank you for all of the prayers and good thoughts that are getting me through all of this. I feel very fortunate that I am responding as well as I am as last Wednesday the guy next to me was rejected. Starting with his 5th infusion they had to cut back as he couldn't take the full dosage. He was in such tough shape Wednesday they sent him home with no infusion to recover for another 2 weeks and then try to start again. I thank the Good Lord that I haven't had to go through that. I'll close for now and will post again in a couple of weeks. Talk to you soon.
Love, Dad (Al)
No comments:
Post a Comment